The New Coney Island - Brooklyn's Times Square by the Sea

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Crains - Thunderbolt lot up for sale

Excerpt -

Three acres of Coney Island up for grabs
Site on which famed Thunderbolt roller coaster once stood hits the market; price not disclosed but NYC paid Joe Sitt $96 million for seven acres nearby last year.

The former site of the famed Thunderbolt roller coaster on Coney Island is up for grabs.
The vacant three-acre site in the Brooklyn amusement district is being sold by Horace Bullard, the owner of the Kansas Fried Chicken chain. Brokerage Massey Knakal Realty Services began marketing the site adjacent to KeySpan Park this week. There is no asking price for the 129,000-square-foot lot.


“The number of people who can purchase the site is limited because of financing constraints, but interest will be strong,” said Brian Hanson, first vice president of Massey Knakal, who along with the brokerage's Chairman, Robert Knakal, is marketing the development site. “It's an area with tremendous potential.”

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20100429/REAL_ESTATE/100429810

What a surprise! Ziggy comes out against Thor's plans

As I have said on this blog for quite some time I am of the opinion that there is a movement going on to try to landmark every building in the amusement area in Coney in order to stop the longterm development of hotels. I also believe that this strategy has zero chance of stopping the development.

NY Daily News excerpt -

Coney Island USA president Dick Zigun ripped Sitt's plans, noting the four buildings - the Grashorn, Henderson, Shore Hotel, and Bank of Coney Island - while not protected by landmark status, are part of a proposed historic district.

Thor reveals plans for Coney

Brooklyn Eagle excerpt -

CONEY ISLAND — Thor Equities, a large landowner in Coney Island, revealed plans Wednesday for Phase I of its development along Surf Avenue.

Spending an estimated $10 million, the company plans new games, shops and other activities in new structures, according to Joe Sitt, CEO of Thor.

“Each day the future of Coney Island draws nearer; we’re thrilled to be playing a role in the rebirth of this legendary neighborhood,” said Sitt, himself a Brooklyn resident. “With the work we are commencing today, by Memorial Day 2011, all of our parcels along Surf Avenue are scheduled to be activated with family-friendly games, food, shopping and other activities that visitors to, and residents of, Coney are clamoring for.”

As an initial step, Thor will begin removing structurally questionable and potentially dangerous and dilapidated existing structures on Surf Avenue this year.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=5&id=35076

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Field of dreams - MCU Park opens up for High School and College games

NY Post excerpt -

MCU Park will play host to plenty of high-school and college baseball games over the next six weeks. Every day, in fact, Cyclones director of new business Gary Perrone said, is booked. The CUNYAC conference is an active participate, along with the PSAL, CHSAA and various private schools leagues.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/zach_braziller/field_high_dreams_cyclones_opening_UkvbuS8EvPZwFJ9PabgodI

The Parallels of Coney and Atlantic Yards Development

There are very many out there who want development to happen their way or the highway. The amusement enthusiasts in Coney only want things done their way. Very similar to the opposition in Atlantic Yards. This is not how development works. It has always followed a pattern of give and take and compromise.

Change in Brooklyn is inevitable and very much needed for places like Coney and Atlantic Yards to happen. And they will happen. In the end nobody remembers the fighting, and nobody remembers how long it took. All that is remembered is that the development happened.

Does anybody remember the extreme opposition to Times Square and Metrotech development? Absolutely not. Ratner himself has stated Metrotech was much harder for him to get through the development process than Atlantic Yards. All people remember is that development happened.

The amusement enthusiasts hate Thor much like the Atlantic Yards opposition hate Ratner. Meanwhile Ratner came to a very equitable deal and The Nets are coming to Brooklyn. And Thor and the city came to a very equitable deal and the Coney land was zoned half outdoor amusement and half hotels, restaurants and indoor entertainment.

Change happens and is very needed.

Muscle's viewpoint

I couldn't care less even if Goldstein got 3 or 4 or 10 million to leave. The money is inconsequential to Brooklyn fans. Atlantic Yards IS HAPPENING! That is all the matters.

After over half a century Brooklyn gets a major professional sports team back and it's respect back! Go Brooklyn! Go Marty! Go BROOKLYN NETS!

Daily News Editorial - A great big sellout: Atlantic Yards opponent made out like a bandit

Daily News excerpts

The community activist who led the long, doomed and destructive fight against Brooklyn's Atlantic Yards project has made out like a bandit. Daniel Goldstein settled with the project's developer for a whopping $3 million.

After all of Goldstein's costly obstructionism, it is a wonder builder Bruce Ratner agreed to give him a penny more than Goldstein would be legally due on eviction from the condo he bought in 2003 for $595,000.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Brooklyn Eagle - Canarsie Pier

Excerpt -

Ideas Invited To Reopen Canarsie Pier Attraction
by Brooklyn Eagle (edit@brooklyneagle.net), published online 04-23-2010

Towns and Weiner Lead Effort To Rehab Busy Park

CANARSIE — In what will be the first step towards transforming the historic Canarsie Pier, U.S. Rep. Edolphus “Ed” Towns (D-Brooklyn), chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform; Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-Queens and Brooklyn), and a National Park Service representative announced a plan to revitalize the Brooklyn landmark by attracting vendors to propose plans for the site’s use.

At the urging of both Towns and Weiner, NPS recently released a Request for Expression of Interest (RFEI) for applicants to submit plans for the creation of a new restaurant. The current dilapidated building, formerly a restaurant called Abbracciamento on the Pier, has been unused since 2002.


http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=31&id=34988

NY Times - Coney getting $30 Million Makeover

Nobody says honkytonk and Coney anymore thank goodness.

NY Times excerpt-

The park at Coney Island “had its glory but lacked an innovative spirit,” Mr. Zamperla said of a site that in recent decades had become seedy.

In February, Central Amusement won the bid on a 10-year lease to build and operate the park, which sits on a city-owned lot.

“Their specific proposal was a nice blend of honoring the history of Coney Island while developing it as a modern 21st-century amusement park,” said Seth W. Pinsky, president of the New York City Economic Development Corporation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/business/global/24coney.html?src=busln


Friday, April 23, 2010

CB13 Approves Coney Amphitheater!

Brooklyn Paper Excerpt -


‘Chip’-tastic! CB13 finally approves Marty’s amphitheater
By Joe Maniscalco
for The Brooklyn Paper

A Community Board 13 panel this week finally voted to back Borough President Markowitz’s controversial bid for a glitzy $64-million amphitheater inside Asser Levy Seaside Park — ending a year of silence on the issue that brought out accusations that the members are just shills for the Beep.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/18/bn_cbamphiteatervote_2010_04_30_bk.html

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thor Ain't Leavin Coney!

Other blogs keeps saying Joe Sitt will flip.

Is it so hard to understand that Thor is NOT LEAVING Coney Island? It will be the Signature Development in the United States over the next decade. There will be hotel leases, most likely signed by major corporations but this all will take time. There will most likely be retail as well. It is going into the next administration 4 years from now because it is going to take at least that long for the city's infrastructure spending.

All you guys read the situation completely wrong. You thought Thor would leave already.

Thor Ain't Leavin Coney!

Last holdout Goldstein takes $3 mil to move!

Let's Go Brooklyn Nets!!!!!


NY Daily News excerpt -

The last Atlantic Yards hold-out has struck a deal.

Outspoken critic Daniel Goldstein Wednesday gave up his years-long fight and his apartment in a $3 million deal with the state and developer Bruce Ratner.

"If I'm going to be forced out of my home in very quick measure, I want to be paid for it," said Goldstein, who had refused to move out of his three-bedroom apartment to make way for the massive arena project.

Goldstein also agreed to step down from his role as the official spokesman for the main critic of the project, Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn, though he can still remain a member.

Boardwalk going Concrete

Brooklyn Paper Excerpt -

Is Coney Island’s famed Boardwalk becoming a sidewalk?

The city is now replacing the wood planks on the Riegelmann Boardwalk with large concrete slabs from Ocean Parkway to Brighton First Road.

“It’s not going to look like wood at all,” admitted Martin Maher, chief of staff of Brooklyn Parks.

The slabs will have a tan hue and be textured to resemble pebbles and sand, said John Natoli, the Parks Department’s chief engineer.


He added that concrete will be more durable than wood and last “100 years instead of 30 or 40 years” — but fans of the classic wood planks were having none of it.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/17/bn_coneyboardwalkfences_2010_4_22_bk.html

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Freddy's Bar gives up and moves!

Let's Go Brooklyn Nets!!!!


Daily News excerpt -

Call off the sheriff.

Atlantic Yards holdout Freddy's Bar, facing eviction to make way for developer Bruce Ratner's megaproject in Brooklyn, will shut its doors at the end of the month and reopen at a new location, its manager said Monday.

Patrons had vowed to chain themselves to the bar and force law enforcement to physically eject them, but now they say they'll go peacefully.

"I love this fight, but ... I'm sick of this sword of Damocles thing," manager Donald O'Finn said. "I want to get on with it."

O'Finn said waiting until the bitter end could have scuttled plans to resurrect the saloon, because all of its supplies could have been padlocked inside.

Now, the business will get an unspecified amount of money from Ratner to pay for relocation.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Coney Jobs and Coney Development

NY 1 Video and Excerpt -

On Tuesday, officials held the first of three job fairs. Lynn Kelly, the President of the Coney Island Development Corporation, says everything is on schedule for the summer season.

"A year ago we hadn't even finished the rezoning. So in less than one year, we're delivering on our promises not only to provide jobs to the neighborhood but to really jump-start the development for Coney Island," Kelly said.

http://www.ny1.com/7-brooklyn-news-content/top_stories/116884/new-era-begins-to-take-shape-on-coney-island

Coney going back to its roots - Debuting Rides!!!!

Brooklyn Paper excerpt -

The Italian ride manufacturers behind Coney Island’s newest amusement park say they will try out their latest scream machines right here in Brooklyn, making local thrill seekers either test pilots or guinea pigs.

“We’re basically putting everything at the limits of what you can do with a regular human body,” Central Amusement International President & CEO Valerio Ferrari said this week. “Our goal is to bring prototypes to the market at our own park first to make sure everything is working fine.”
Ferrari describes one of the new rides — Air Race — as a “corkscrewing” aerial simulator capable of subjecting its riders to up to four gs.


“It’s going to be quite the ride,” Ferrari said.

According to Ferrari, some of Zamperla’s newest rides are actually based on concepts pioneered in Coney Island 100 years ago.

“For us it’s like coming full circle,” he said. “The manufacturers are back to where they belong in Coney island.”

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/16/bn_ciguineapig_2010_04_23_bk.html

Aviators announce ticket pricing

The Aviators will host 30 home games at the Aviator Sports and Events Center beginning this fall...
New York Aviators Pro Hockey Team Announces Ticket Pricing

The New York Aviators Professional Hockey Team, proud member of the Federal Hockey League (FHL), is excited to release ticket pricing, packages, and incentives for the upcoming 2010-2011 season.

The Aviators will host 30 home games at the Aviator Sports and Events Center beginning this fall with most games to be played on weekend dates. The Team is pleased to offer fans high quality entertainment at affordable prices.

Fans can choose from VIP season ticket packages or regular season ticket packages. VIP guests will have the opportunity to enjoy an open bar and buffet dinner for all 30 home games. For more information on VIP packages, contact Mark Richards, General Manager of the Aviators. Regular season ticket holders can select full-season seats for $320 which includes a ticket to the first two home playoff games. All season ticket holders will receive great benefits such as: $100 gift certificate to the Aviator Sports and Event Center, free parking, Aviators’ t-shirt, huge savings, unused ticket redemption, Meet the Aviators’ Party, discounts on Aviators’ merchandise, plus many more exciting perks!

The Aviators will also offer Flex Plan options, including both a five-game and fifteen-game Flex Plan with prices ranging from $55-$165 per plan.

Single-game tickets will be available this fall with prices ranging from $8-$12 per game. Groups of 25 or more will also be able to take advantage of $6 tickets!

For more information and to reserve your seats today, contact the Aviators at 718-758-7580 today!

New York Aviators Hockey…”FLYING HIGH AGAIN”

About Aviator Sports and Events Center
Aviator Sports and Events Center is a world class multi-use sporting and event complex. Aviator Sports has refurbished four historic aircraft hangers and surrounding grounds, in partnership with the National Park Service. Aviator’s 170,000 – square foot facility has 5,500 parking spots and is comprised of an 18,000 – square foot indoor field house with two hardwood basketball courts; two indoor turf fields; two NHL regulation size ice rinks; a 15,000-square-foot gymnastics and dance training center; a 2,000-square-foot fitness center with a member lounge; two outdoor turf fields, a 35-foot-tall rock climbing wall; the Winnie Mae Grill and food court. Aviator offers membership programs to enthusiasts who would like to access to the fitness center as well as participate in leagues and other programming including hockey, ice skating, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, soccer, football and much more. Visit
www.aviatorsports.com for more information!

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/news2.php?news_id=262410

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Parkview Diner

We ate at the new Coney diner on Cropsey yesterday and it was packed beyond belief. Food was great. I heard the Cross Bay Diner had great food and the owners obviously brought the same great food to Parkview. Menu was filled with old Coney pics. Fantastic addition to Coney. It's open 24/7 - all year round!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Brooklyn Eagle - City Point Design released

Excerpt -

City Point Design Released
by Linda Collins (
linda@brooklyneagle.net), published online 04-08-2010

Groundbreaking Later This Spring

By Linda CollinsBrooklyn Daily Eagle

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — City Point’s Phase IA design received final approval from the NYC Public Design Commission on Wednesday, according to Tom Montvel-Cohen, a consultant and spokesperson for the developer, Albee Development LLC.

Built to be eligible for LEED-Silver certification, the 50,000-square-foot retail building is the first phase of a multi-phased mixed-use development on the site of the former Albee Square Mall. Designed by Rick Cook of Cook + Fox, it will be the first new building built on the Fulton Mall in over three decades, according to Montvel-Cohen.


Groundbreaking is expected later this spring.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=5&id=34687

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NY Post - Ticket prices at Luna Park

Excerpt -

They’re calling it Luna Park, but the new amusement park set to open in Coney Island next month will not be charging “Nickel Empire” prices.

Central Amusement International — operators of the new park on Surf Avenue — will offer thrill seekers two different price plans, with prices going up on weekends.

The first plan will allow patrons to “pay as they go” with the purchase of $1 credits. Each of Luna Park’s 19 new rides will be worth anywhere between 3 and 7 credits.

The park will also offer wristbands allowing them to ride as many rides as they like, as often as they like, within a four-hour time period.

Weekday wristbands will sell for $26, while weekend wristbands will cost $30.

Astroland, which preceded Luna Park on the Coney Island seashore, charged $5 for its adult rides and $2.50 for the kiddie rides before it closed down in 2008,

Customers could also purchase pay-one-price wrist bands for $23.99 during select times that also included three rides on the Cyclone roller coaster. Luna Park tickets will not include a ride on the Cyclone, which now costs $8 for the first ride, and $5 for each ride immediately thereafter.

The first of Coney Island’s newest rides are expected to arrive from Italy in a few days.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Luna Park Poster on ConeyIsland.com

http://www.coneyisland.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1270252168

If you look at the poster you see a restaurant and indoor shops on either side of the Surf Avenue entrance. I wonder if they are coming so soon this summer? Seems too soon to build those that quickly? This ties in with the zoning that allows indoor on the Surf Avenue side of the old Astroland lot.

Very Very interesting. Looks Awesome!

Sydney Morning Herald -Watch out Disney, Here Comes Coney

Excerpt from Australia!

But, according to New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, numbers dwindled after World War II and Coney Island lost its lustre. "This summer, we're reversing that trend," Bloomberg says.

The first part of a new Luna Park is scheduled to open on Memorial Day (May 31) and will remain open daily until Labour Day (September 6), then on weekends until Columbus Day (October 11). When completed next year, Coney Island will have 23 rides. It is expected that the revamp, which will include a new neighbourhood of shops and residences, will generate more than $US14 billion in economic activity for New York City over three decades.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/watch-out-disney-coney-island-gets-30m-makeover-20100330-raeo.html