The New Coney Island - Brooklyn's Times Square by the Sea

Saturday, August 1, 2009

An interesting take from Ziggy

Archpaper excerpt -

“It’s looking like attention was paid to the amusements after all, and there was a concession made,” said Dick Zigun, founder of Coney Island U.S.A. He and other groups had been fighting for additional outdoor recreational area, arguing that such attractions have always been at the heart of Coney Island and drawn crowds. Zigun said that his understanding was the outdoor amusements would increase two to three acres, up from a current nine.

As for Sitt, the Times reported that the city has offered the developer something close to $60 million for the land, and the developer would retain control of parcels along Surf Avenue and Stillwell Avenue, including sites for two proposed hotels. At yesterday’s press conference, both Recchia and council speaker Christine Quinn said they expected no more than two of the plan’s possible four hotels to get built in the long term, though they did not say if this meant Sitt’s or the other two sites would be part of an eventual revised plan.

http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3727

If Ziggy is correct, that would probably be very good news as year round development would still be in place in Coney East, and the amusement folks would be satisfied with more outdoor amusement space.

No comments: