The New Coney Island - Brooklyn's Times Square by the Sea

Friday, June 12, 2009

Bay News - Marty talks Amphitheater

Excerpt -

With the lack of toilet facilities and overall poor state of the bandshell at Asser Levy Seaside Park, Borough President Marty Markowitz says “it’s a miracle” that any celebrities have agreed to perform at his annual summer concert series on Sea Breeze Avenue.

“When they wash their hands, there are no water facilities for them,” Markowitz recently told neighbors in Manhattan Beach. “There’s no bathroom for them. I have construction huts I rent but there’s no running water and there’s no bathroom facilities. They have to walk out of that and go into one of the temporary johns. I tell you, to see some of those stars having to use that, it makes it difficult to get them back.”

Markowitz is in the midst of an all−out effort to construct a new $64 million amphitheater that critics maintain will destroy their park and community, and toilets are one of the biggest reasons why the borough president says he’s doing it.

But he has others.

“There’s a bigger reason why I’m doing it,” Markowitz said. “I’m 64 years old now – I’m sure I’ll be around until I’m 104 – but the truth of the matter is there will come a time when I will not be able to do the shows anymore. There is no guarantee that anyone coming after me is going to do shows there. But If I build a world−class venue – a beautiful seasonal amphitheater – it will attract someone that will take that on and make it a center of music for all the years to come.”

http://www.yournabe.com/articles/2009/06/12/coney_island/bay_news/news/bay_news_newshalbrxt06112009.txt

No comments: